Who could have predicted this? Ponytails are now chic. We’re not talking the “it’s a bad hair day so I’m pulling my hair back with a sad scrunchie” ponytail. We’re talking super slick, purposely planned, sexy ponytails inspired by movie stars on the red carpet and models on the catwalk.
These ponytails will take us through spring, into summer (when a girl can really appreciate having her hair pulled off her neck), and straight into the fall, as we witnessed at the 2011 autumn/winter fashion shows.
How can you recreate this trendy ponytail? Well, I’ve got the secret for you.
- Wash your hair as you normally would and give it a slight towel dry.
- Apply a straightening balm, like Alterna’s Hemp Organic Straightening Balm, to your damp hair.
- Blow your hair straight, using low heat and a large round brush, taking extra care to make the ends slick, not frizzy.
- Take a fine-tooth comb and create a clean part in your hair, either directly in the center or to one of the sides. (Check out these powerful ponytails with side parts that BCBG’s modeled rocked at a recent fashion show.)
- Pull your hair back tightly at the nape of your neck or in a high ponytail and fasten securely with a trendy fastener.
- A very smart-looking alternative to using a fastener is to secure the ponytail with a small hair band that is similar in color to your hair. Then take a portion of your ponytail and wrap it cleanly around the band (hiding the band). Then, hold the hair in place with some hidden pins or clips.
There will always be a place for the just-thrown-back ponytail – at the gym. But when your ponytail is part of your savvy style, taking the time to make it slick and clean will turn it from your bad-hair-day solution to your fabulous-hair-day secret.